The Theia workshop for Sentinel-2 L2A MAJA products was held in Toulouse on the 13th and 14th of June 2018.
The Copernicus satellites S2A and S2B have been launched respectively in 2015 and 2017. The Theia land data center started distributing high quality L2A products (surface reflectance with atmospheric correction and a cloud mask) since the end of 2016.
More than two years of Sentinel-2 data have been processed by Theia over 7 millions of km2, starting with the images acquired in December 2015. The newly acquired images are now processed in real time. These products are made at the MUSCATE facility within CNES, with the MAJA L2A processor jointly developed by CNES, CESBIO and DLR. They are freely available from theia.cnes.fr. The MAJA software is also available to be installed on user side (logiciels.cnes.fr).
70 participants attended this workshop whose object was to collect feedback and share experiences on the quality, use and applications of the L2A surface reflectance products delivered by Theia from Sentinel-2 data.
Here is the programme with links to download the presentations :
SESSION 1 - DATA / PRODUCTS
- The French thematic data centers
- Introduction for the workshop
- Validation of L2A products provided by MAJA L2A Processor
- Using Copernicus Atmosphere products in the atmospheric correction processor MAJA
- Inter-comparison of atmospheric correction methods applied to Sentinel-2 images
- Three snow seasons in the Pyrenees through the eyes of Sentinel-2
- New algorithm for mapping soil moisture by coupling Sentinel-1 and Sentinel-2 images
SESSION 2 -PLATFORMS
- Venµs: the mission and its first results after 11 months in orbit
- MUSCATE: A Multi-Satellite, Multi-Sensors and Multi-Temporal Versatile Platform designed for THEIA
- Sentinel-2 for Agriculture: Sentinel-2 operational exploitation for supporting agriculture monitoring at parcel level from local to national scale around the world
- Geo Storm on EO IPT Poland: a private initiative to provide EO adding value data in a geospatial platform
- An experience in making Sentinel-2 based services possible, useful, and operational
SESSION 3 –AGROSYSTEMS
- Experiences with Sentinel-2 data for crop monitoring in Belgium
- Designing a service with the Living Lab approach
- Combining crop model with Sentinel 2 data for the assessment of rice agricultural practices and yields in the South-Eastern France
- In-season estimation of sunflower and wheat yields using optical multi-temporal satellite images
- Towards a monitoring system for oasis agro-systems using Sentinel2 data
- Two case studies on the use of Sentinel-2 MUSCATE images in tropical contexts (French Guiana and Madagascar)
SESSION 4 - LAND COVER
- Sentinels synergy for seasonal agricultural crop mapping
- A comparison of L2A Sentinel-2 image data providers for large scale land cover mapping: MAJA vs SEN2COR part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5
- Evaluating Sentinel-2 L2A MAJA Products for Automatic Land Cover Classification in Tropical Areas using VHSR imagery and Satellite Image Time Series
SESSION 5 – FOREST
- Sentinel 2 BOA reflectance in the context of tropical rainforest: preliminary illustration of the challenges for the extraction of vegetation properties
- Monitoring biophysical properties of Eucalyptus plantations using Sentinel 2 time series
- Poplar plantations monitoring with Sentinels products : combination of optical and radar remote sensing data
- Monitoring and understanding the green-leaf phenology of tree species with Sentinel-2
- Post-Fire assessment using Sentinel-2 images in French Mediterranean area
- Non-photosynthetic vegetation monitoring in agro-pastoral Sahel and erosion risk.
SESSION 6 – WATER
- SURF-WATER : A high-resolution and near real time monitoring of surface water extent using a multi-sensor& multi-temporal approach
- Assessing water quality over inland waters with Sentinel-2 THEIA products
- Monitoring West African water bodies using Sentinel2