The objective of the VarBio Scientific Expertise (SEC) is to provide products on France or over a wider coverage for two biophysical variables characteristic of vegetation that have been recognized as ECVs (Essential Climate Variables) by the Global Climate Observing System – GCOS:
- the Leaf Area Index (LAI) and
- fAPAR (fraction of Absorbed Photosynthetically Active Radiation), as well as the green fraction of vegetation (fCover or Green Fraction).
The product resulting from the VarBio SEC is updated with a frequency of one to 10 days. It has a kilometre (km), hectometre (hm) and decametre (dm) scale, and global coverage. VarBio SEC complements the Copernicus Global Land Service (CGLS) for medium-resolution sensors and toolkits developed by the European Space Agency (ESA) such as the SNAP Toolbox or the SEN2-AGRI system for Sentinel-2.
- 2015: algorithms and production chains developed for km and hm levels, additional validations for the dm level
- 2016: development of specific products intended for agricultural areas (wheat, maize, sunflower)
- 2018 : Prototyping
- 2019: Integration into the Theia production chain